Thursday, August 18, 2011

"Why is that tape there?"


"Why is that tape there?" Yes, that's the first thing my husband said when he saw the timeline. Though I was glad he didn't bust out his level and point out how crooked my lines were (which I totally expected and was prepared for), that single question did point out how little the hours of forethought, tons of preparation and excess of caution helped me. The planning, the prepping, the agonizing over each detail and still I messed up. Okay, so I admit it-the longer this project went on, the less cautious I became-and I messed up. And not just once. Luckily, I was able to cover up my mistakes rather easily and although not perfect, it is our timeline. Now, Lord willing,  my babies can spend years filling these crooked lines with me by their sides making history more tangible and creating memories that I hope will last all their lives.
Not only that, but this near disastrous experience has reinforced two simple but powerful concepts about my walk with the Lord.
#1-God does not grow weary while dealing with us, like I grew weary making this timeline! Like me, He sees what He wants us to become. Unlike me, He has the patience and mercy to see the work through to the end without becoming faint or hasty (Philippians 1:6).
#2-While I made a quick fix and covered up my errors, the Lord is transforming me from the inside out as I uncover my faults and present them to Him with repentance. The change in me is real, not just a cover up of all that is imperfect (2 Corinthians 3:18).

1 comment: